ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] Page command

From: Wojciech 'vifon' Siewierski
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Page command
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:27:57 +0200

On 20/04/15 18:52, Michael Longval wrote:

Hi,

I added a "page" command because "selecting" a text or .py file always
opens it. I don't always want that.

Here is the rc.conf part:

map pp page %f

and this is the commands.py part:

(
Now I've been using this for a while now, and I don't recall if I
modified what was already there, or if I added this myself, anyway
this simply pages the file to 'less'
)

Also this is very MacOSX specific because I assume that people are using
HOMEBREW.

class page(Command):
    """:page <filename>

    Opens the specified file in 'less'
    """

    def execute(self):
        theFile = self.fm.thisfile.path
        theCommand = "/usr/bin/clear;/usr/local/bin/less '" + theFile +"'"    # this ASSUMES using HOMEBREW
        call(theCommand, shell=True)
        self.fm.ui.redraw_window()
        self.fm.ui.initialize()

Hope it's usefull,

Mike

ranger already allows you to “page” the text files: press “i”. It’s not as fully featured but it’s there.

Also, be aware that a file named for example '; rm -rf . ; would be pretty dangerous for your function.

Try replacing call(theCommand, shell=True) with

call(["less", theFile])

or something like this. Just don’t call the shell and you should be fine in most cases.

--
Kind regards,
Wojciech 'vifon' Siewierski