[RP] Re: Quickie question on RatPoison

From: sabetts
Subject: [RP] Re: Quickie question on RatPoison
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

At Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:40:27 -0700 , Mahlon Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

>First off, I gotta tell ya...  I didn't think anything could unseat
>Windowmaker as my window manager of choice - but this is really, really
>nice.  Super fast, as configurable as I need, and along side screen, I
>freakin SAIL through work.
>
>So, I'm a little pissed that I am this productive now.
>I'll let it slide if you can answer this for me:     :)

Thanks! Its amazing how much more you can do when you're not hammering on the
maximize button all the time and kicking windows around your desktop, eh?

>There are some X apps that I don't want to be auto-maximized.
>The Gimp is a great example.  Every toolbox window fills the screen, and
>makes it... well, impossible to work with.  Is there any : setting or
>otherwise that I can disable this behavior, for just that app?
>(Everything else, the auto-maximize is great.)

ratpoison unconditionally maximizes windows (except for transient windows,
which are in a state of transition right now). There is no way to stop it
unless you edit the source.

In CVS there is functionality to split windows. This way you can divide the
screen into regions each containing a gimp window. This works OK, but its
hardly a solution. The gimp is just too rat-centric.

You could try running xnest and another window manager in it. That way you are
free to manage the gimp windows while still using ratpoison for everything else.