Re: [RP] box shaped cursor suggestion

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] box shaped cursor suggestion
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:09:28 -0700

>From: Jonathan Walther <address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>       <mailto:address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 17:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

>Currently Gergely doesn't like the box cursor.  I didn't at
>first either, but it grows on one.  I realized what the problem
>with the box was.  Not that its ugly (it is) but that it
>irritatingly reminds me that ratpoison is ready and eager
>to perform a command for me, and that I can't type ANY OTHER KEY
>until I give it some command to perform, even if only the nil
>command.

Ok, its ugly. There is a default box cursor that I'm sure you'll all
find far more visually appealing. xview uses it if you want a preview
of what it will look like...

>I suggest that we keep the box cursor, but that it "revert" after
>5 seconds, if no further keys are pressed.  To go along with this
>I suggest that ratpoison "forget" C-t was press at the same time
>the box cursor is reverted. This way if you hit C-t by accident,
>you can just wait for the ugly cursor to "go away", and then you're
>safe to keep typing.  Or if you hit C-t and get distracted by
>something, when you come back, you don't have to $@(&@(^$@&*^@(&*^
>deal with a window manager that wants you to feed it special keystrokes
>when all you want to do is get on with your programming.

How about if the cursor changes to a box after say...3 seconds and if
you hit C-t by accident then you're dumb and you should figure out
what you're doing before you do it?