Re: [RP] third window

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] third window
Date: Tue Oct 9 16:54:10 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:15:05AM +0200, Jesper Holmberg wrote:
> Well, nice to have, need to have... Of course I know I can reach every
> window by its number or name. This is rather a question of comfort; I
> don't want to always keep in mind the numbers of the windows, I just
> want to quickly work with three windows with a minimum of hassle. You
> must agree that using C-t C-t is quicker than C-t C-<some number>.
> I am envisioning something similar, but for three windows.

It's only quicker because only one key is involved. Plus Ctrl of course.

Adding a function to access the last-but-last window has to be mapped to a
different key anyways or how do you see it implemented?

Moving your windows to 5,6 and 4 or 7 doesn't involve that many meters/day
additional finger movement.

But it might be an idea to create a new command for your need. However
limiting it to the last-but-last seems a little narrow. One could call the
command goback and give it an argument. So that :goback 0 would make
nothing or generate an error perhaps, :goback 1 would be identical to
:other, :goback 2 would do what you miss and :goback 3 takes you to the
window that was active even one step further back etc.

If you or anybody else implement the above it's trivial for every user to
map enough keys for whatever amount of windows commonly used.

As always, I havn't read the source, but I guess that there is no big
difference in implemening :goback_1 and implementing the whole thing. I
don't think rp actually keeps track of the last-but-last window. It's more
likely that there is some kind of list containing all windows.
--
/Martin