Re: [RP] Scripting question - or two...

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Scripting question - or two...
Date: Sun Oct 28 00:49:02 2001

Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:25:59PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> > (Also not clear that sendevent is any larger of an X security issue than
> > is open by other means -- most servers have the XTEST/DECTEST/AthenaTest
> > extensions, and those can simulate events "for real", without marking
> > them as Synthetic.)
>
> I noticed that there was a line about xtest in the rp source. But it was
> commented out.
>
> So, whoever wrote that line, tell us the story behind it. Why isn't it
> used instead of XSentEvent?

I played around with the XTest extension in ratpoison.  I couldn't get
it to work because XTest allows you to synthesize only keycode presses
and releases, iirc.  That means its a real chore to synthesize a
Control+T, for example, because you have to do a control-press,
t-press, t-release, control-release event.  If the control key was
down before, you need to take that into account.  If meta or shift was
down, you need to take that into account also, and release them before
the synthed event, and then return them to their original state after.
I just didn't have time to handle all of the states cleanly and things
were getting messed up...in the meantime, the XSendEvent was working
fine for me, so I wasn't motivated to get the XTest stuff working
Right.

It would be great if someone picked that up and got it working
solidly.

Ryan