[RP] Goodbye...

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: [RP] Goodbye...
Date: Fri Dec 14 13:58:02 2001

I just unsubscribed from ratpoison-developers, and wanted to say
goodbye, and make one last plug for what I'm using now.

As I stated before, I think that PLWM is what ratpoison 2.0 wants to
be, except that it's written in Python instead of Common LISP.  The
version in CVS includes my "panes" mixin, which I've been running for
a week now. It does everything I wanted ratpoison to do, and some
things that making ratpoison do would be difficult.

Most of what ratpoison does could be done trivially. The only
exception is various interactive things. Some of that is sort of
moot. For instance, the "current frame" information is provided by the
border and focus mixins, so that the active window has a grey border
instead of a black one. The rest requires some internal work. I'm
pushing the maintainer to bundle this as a release, both to make it
available outside of CVS, and so I can start on that internal
work. After that's done, a "ratpoison.py" that really mimics ratpoison
should be possible.

While I wasn't a ratpoison user for long, it provided some excellent
ideas, and it's always enjoyable to interact with others who don't
like rats. I hope that some of you will take the time to check out
PLWM, and possibly address@hidden

        Be well,
        <mike
--