Re: [RP] Font selection at compile-time

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] Font selection at compile-time
Date: Wed Apr 10 18:59:06 2002

> > > Note that it does not (yet?) test at configure if the user specified font
> > > actually exists...
> >
> > ...and it shouldn't. If you compile RP on a box which does not have
> > fonts installed, and intend to run it on other, one shouldn't check if
> > the font is installed or not.
>
> I disagree: It should check and issue a warning if the font doesn't
> exist so you can ignore the warning if you intend to run RP on a
> different machine but otherwise you would know sth is wrong.

And how would you check? The fonts may not be installed locally, so
you can't check the filesystem (you'd need to parse some configfiles
on unknown locations anyway), and if no X is running, I doubt you can
reliably query if a font is available to the system or not.

If there isn't a reliable check, and it is not really crucial, I'd
just skip it. Why? Because if you use the default font, RP behaviour
will not change, if you pass --with-font, I'd expect you already know
what you are doing.