Re: [RP] virtual screens

From: Stefan Sandstrom
Subject: Re: [RP] virtual screens
Date: Wed May 29 02:42:08 2002

Hello,

Some time ago, I posted a pretty scrappy virtual screen patch to ratpoison.
As I've found some time to work on it, it's time to post a new, hopefully
somewhat less scrappy, patch.

The improvments are that the 'next' and 'select' commands now are aware of
virtual screens. 'next' does not consider windows "visible" on other virtual
screens and 'select' switches to the virtual screen the window is visible on
(if any). The "Bad Window" problem should hopefully be eliminated with the
new behaviour of 'next' as the same window shouldn't be able to be visible
in more than one virtual screen at a time.

Although I use rp with this patch daily, I haven't tested it very
thoroughly. It does at least seems to work well the way I use it.

The patch is against the current state of the cvs repository, and should be
applied in the ratpoison/src directory:

  cd XXXX/ratpoison/src
  patch -c <cvs.patch

-stefan

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 09:52:04AM +0200, Stefan Sandstrom wrote:
> OK, here's the patch.
>
> As I mentioned before this adds _basic_ support for virtual screens. The
> behavior and implementation details can most certainly be improved.
>
> Apply with 'patch -p2 <patch-file' while standing in the ratpoison-1.1.0
> directory. The patch is made against the 1.1.0 release of ratpoison.
>
> The patch adds two commands:
>
>   vscreen N         -- switch to virtual screen N
>   vscreen_rel N     -- switch to virtual screen "current+N"
>
> Example from my .ratpoisonrc:
>
>   bind comma  vscreen_rel -1
>   bind period vscreen_rel 1
>
>   bind 1     vscreen 0
>   bind 2     vscreen 1
>   bind 3     vscreen 2
>   bind 4     vscreen 3
>   bind 5     vscreen 4
>   bind 6     vscreen 5
>   bind 7     vscreen 6
>   bind 8     vscreen 7
>
> The number of available virtual screens is defined by NUM_VSCREENS in conf.h

Stefan Sandström, ASIC Systems Architect/Designer, email: address@hidden
Axis Communications AB, tel:   +46 46 272 18 95, fax: +46 46 13 61 30
Emdalavägen 14, SE-223 69 LUND, SWEDEN   url: http://www.axis.com