[RP] framesets

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: [RP] framesets
Date: Fri Apr 4 09:44:14 2003

Hello fellas,

So I've added a mechanism by which you can implement framesets, and an
example of how you might do it. CVS now sports 2 new commands:

** new commands 'fdump' and 'frestore'
These commands are for saving and restoring frame sets.

If you want to dump the frameset then at a shell prompt type:

ratpoison -c fdump

then to restore it, type:

ratpoison -c "frestore <dump>"

where <dump> is the text you got from the first command. Since it's
all plain text, there is room for malformed input which ratpoison
sorta deals with (I didn't try very hard to crash it, but uhm, you
prolly could). And there is room for abuse. You *could* manually type
in a frame layout (assuming you reverse engineer my
super-ultra-heavy-duty encrypted frameset propriety format (you can
also sign an NDA and pay me $200 if you want it) which I like to call
'XtaticSTRONG(tm) v1.3 - Bring it ON!') and get ratpoison to do
overlapping windows and frame layouts that don't take up all the
screen. Depending on the level of abuse I may build a verifier
function that makes sure only layouts that take up the WHOLE screen
with no overlap are allowed. We can't have crazy people running around
wasting screen space, now can we??

So, anyway, if you're thinking, "oh GOD! this is GROSS! I have to do
this by HAND??" Well, not so fast! Haha! I have also developed what I
believe to be a truely fitting way to automate the process entirely in
ratpoison (assuming you have /bin/sh). Allow me to demonstrate a custo
to allow for 3 saved framesets.

bind M-exclam exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs1 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"
bind M-1 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs1'`"

bind M-at exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs2 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"
bind M-2 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs2'`"

bind M-numbersign exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs3 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"
bind M-3 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs3'`"

So, to save a layout to slot #1, type C-t M-!. To restore the layout
in slot 1 type C-t M-1. and so forth for the other 2 slots.

Shawn