Re: [RP] new buffer open on other-window

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] new buffer open on other-window
Date: Sat Apr 5 10:30:06 2003

twb <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.
> Maybe this is old hat, but ...
>
> In emacs, when a new buffer is opened, it appears in the `other' pane.

That's not the general rule, by any means.  It depends how that buffer
is opened.  If I switch-to-buffer, it will switch in the current
window.  Emacs allows me to do switch-to-buffer-other-window, which
will do what you describe.  Higher level functions are written to do
the buffer switching in the current *or* other window as they think
are appropriate.

> My thinking is, if there is an empty pane, rp should create the window
> in that, rather than the focused pane.

I agree, somewhat.  Would this get confusing in cases where you have
multiple empty frames?  What do I do if I want the window in the
current, occupied, frame, despite the free frames?

> Useful when you have a primary window, and are creating / destroying
> secondary windows (e.g. an emacs and a bunch of dillo (browser)
> windows).  You can keep the primary open in one pane and refer to it
> while the secondaries come and go.

Here's an off the cuff idea:

How about implementing a ratpoison dedicated frames similar to the
recent Emacs' dedicated windows?

How it would work is, if a frame in ratpoison is dedicated, then
ratpoison will never change the window in that frame.  If a window
pops up, and the dedicated frame is focussed, then the new window will
be mapped to a different (nondedicated) frame.  If the dedicated frame
is the only one showing, and we need to map a new window, then it will
automatically be split to make room for the new window.

Then you could get your desired behaviour by making your emacs frame
dedicated.  Your browser windows would go in another frame.

Ryan