[RP] off topic: xinerama

From: twb
Subject: [RP] off topic: xinerama
Date: Fri May 9 06:24:03 2003

This is a bit off topic, but I'm not sure who else to ask.

I've a dual-head ATI Radeon rv250, running under XFree 4.3.0

When I turn xinerama on, it looks ok; but as soon as the cursor leaves
the left screen, it (the first screen) turns off, and wont go back on
for that X session.  I couldn't get it to happen under just X (calling
as `X').  I'm using xinit/.xinitrc to start x normally.

What's going on?
I have two current theories:
* The monitor frequencies or something are wrong.  (don't have dox
for 'em)
* Problem is in the xinit code or something equally generic; the
screen's been turning off under other WMs, too.

now some devel talk:
It seems that RP treats a xinerama screen no different.  I think the
best way for it to work would be to automatically divide into heads on
start.  Dead panes (when screens are unequal height/width) need to be
marked so stuff doesn't get dropped there.  Normal screen division
doesn't affect the head-panes; you can turn head-panes on or off with h-
p-on and h-p-off.  You also need to be able to switch head pane, like
nextscreen() now.

-trent