[RP] EXC is exorcised

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: [RP] EXC is exorcised
Date: Mon Oct 25 05:54:00 2004

I've posted the latest JNPatch against mainline CVS to the wiki:
http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/JNPatch

The biggest change is that the Embedded Xterm Console is now gone.  It is
replaced by the program "rp_console" found in the contrib subdirectory.  It
has the same functionality; namely you can issue non-interactive commands
directly to ratpoison in an interactive readline-driven terminal setting.
The advantage here is that you no longer need xterm: rp_console will run on
any terminal emulator.  Also, you can have many of them open at once, or
none at all.  The can be spawned and closed at will.

The disadvantage is that we no longer get access to ratpoison's streams.  To
fix this, you run ratpoison as "rp_server ratpoison".  "rp_server" is a
program in the contrib subdirectory that spawns ratpoison and acts as a
proxy to redirect ratpoison's streams to any open rp_consoles.  You can
still use rp_console without using rp_server, but its functionality is then
reduced.

Anyway, I hope people give it a try.  It's a lot of fun and I welcome all
feedback.  I've tested it on Linux and OSX, and readline support is
required.

Joshua