[RP] Re: obsolete build-depends in CVS debian directory

From: Graham Wilson
Subject: [RP] Re: obsolete build-depends in CVS debian directory
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:59:18 -0600

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:19:12PM +0100, Martin Samuelsson wrote:
> Changes has been made in the debian packaging since then, but those are
> only available within debian itself, as far as I know. Last year I
> brought this up in the following thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ratpoison-devel/2005-05/msg00002.html
>
> Which reads that commit access could be given, but I don't know if it
> ever happened.

Debian best practices dictate that the debian/ directory not be kept in
upstream's source management system or in upstream's release tarballs.
This way the Debian maintainer doesn't have to keep upstream's CVS in
sync with his local copy everytime he makes an new debian release.
Additionally, sometimes Debian maintainer's need to apply local patches
to the source that are not appropriate for upstream.

So, I'd think the best thing to do would be to remove the debian/
directory from CVS. However, if Jonathan finds it more convenient to
maintain the debian/ directory in the Savannah CVS, then maybe commit
access is what is needed to keep it up to date.

--
gram