Re: [RP] patch to better support _NET_WM_PID

From: Bernhard R. Link
Subject: Re: [RP] patch to better support _NET_WM_PID
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:27:52 +0100

* Aaron Griffin <address@hidden> [060118 20:52]:
> Would you happen to know where I can find information about this
> _NET_WM_PID feature in ratpoison?  This is the second time I've heard
> of it and have never seen this.

This is still quit experimental code, the idea is the following:
Conformant programs set a _NET_WM_PID property for their windows
with their pid, so the window manager has a chance which programs
it started is responsible for that window. The only usage yet is
that when you start a program using ratpoison's ':exec' function
(in contract to starting it from some other program like an xterm)
ratpoison remembers the frame and which group you where in when
it started the program, and when this window opens a window
(and if this window got a _NET_WM_PID property), ratpoison can
put that window in the frame and group active when starting that
window. (This way you can start e.g. many programs when starting,
getting all of them in the frames you intended, no matter in what
order they open their windows. (Again assuming they support this
_NET_WM_PID procedure)).

Hochachtungsvoll,
        Bernhard R. Link