[RP] Embedded scripting

From: Christian Stucchio
Subject: [RP] Embedded scripting
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:50:04 -0500

Greetings all,

Has anyone considered embedding a scripting language directly into
ratpoison? This would be an improvement over shell scripts, especially
if one wants to maintain complicated state (a data structure, not
simply a variable) between script executions.

This idea is feasible, at least from a programming perspective. It
took me a few hours yesterday to embed python2.4 into the latest CVS
of ratpoison, and build two-way communication between ratpoison and
python.
So far, I only build the ratpoison commands "pyrun" (run a line of
python) and pyrunfile (run a python file), as well as making
"ratpoison.command()" available to python (a python wrapper for the
ratpoison command function).

My sources are available at:
http://math.rutgers.edu/~stucchio/software/ratpoison_python.tar.gz

Anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this, especially if there
is a good reason why this is a bad idea.

Chris