Re: [RP] Embedded scripting

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Embedded scripting
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:57:37 -0800

"Christian Stucchio" <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings all,
>
> Has anyone considered embedding a scripting language directly into
> ratpoison?

ratpoison is scriptable in C or through the -c feature.

> This would be an improvement over shell scripts, especially if one
> wants to maintain complicated state (a data structure, not simply a
> variable) between script executions.

ratpoison has a script that builds bindings for a number of languages,
not just shell. Any language that can run a program and collect the
output can "script" ratpoison.

> [ python embedding ]

But seriously, if there are ways that I could help to allow easier
embedding I'm open to the idea. I honestly don't really see what will
be gained from nailing an interpreted language to the side of
ratpoison.

It feels to me like you've got things backwards though. Don't you want
to embed ratpoison into python? So you can boot ratpoison from python?

In that case it seems like being able to compile ratpoison into a
library would be the way to go. Then you could, presumably, write a
foreign function interface thingy for any language you want.

Again, it all seems sorta pointless but if there are changes one can
make to ratpoison that don't compromise the source by adding library
dependencies or X scripting language specific things to it then I
don't see why it should be restricted.

-Shawn