[RP] how to confuse ratpoison

From: Brian May
Subject: [RP] how to confuse ratpoison
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:10:07 +1000

With the following macros:

# bind M-! to store the current frame layout in slot #1
bind M-exclam exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs1 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"

#bind M-1 to restore the frame layout in slot #1
bind M-1 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs1'`"

# Do the same for slot #2 and bind it to M-@ and M-2, respectively.
bind M-at exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs2 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"
bind M-2 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs2'`"

# Give ourselves another slot on M-# and M-3, respectively.
bind M-numbersign exec ratpoison -c "setenv fs3 `ratpoison -c 'fdump'`"
bind M-3 exec ratpoison -c "frestore `ratpoison -c 'getenv fs3'`"

It is possible to get ratpoison 1.4.2-2 really confused on a multi screen (ie. :0.0 and :0.1) X-Window server.

eg. now if I push C-t t, to toggle the window, the window now, the window vanishes from the left monitor, and another window completely fills the right monitor. Push it again, the right monitor display is replaced with the two frames it initially had and the original window reappears in the left monitor.

I think 1.4.2 might be old, I will see if I can get the latest version going, but I am somewhat sceptical it will fix this issue.

Everything is fine until I try using frestore.

Brian May