Re: [RP] Mouse cursor disappears in some programs

From: sermag
Subject: Re: [RP] Mouse cursor disappears in some programs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:12:41 +0300

On 27/07/11 21:09, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
I'm sorry about your problem, but I still can't figure what might
happen, as ratpoison actually never touches mouse cursor visibility.
For example the "banish" command does not hide the mouse cursor but just
moves it out of the way.

On the other hand ratpoison not always answers as expected as it just
implements a subset of window manager features.

The only similar behaviour I can see here is, that the cursor hides
during typing in a terminal, which I switched on as I wanted that.

With nvidia-settings there are some options for "Hardware Cursor
Shadow", that might affect mouse visibility.  Also there are some theme
packs that install mouse cursor images, that might not work always.  But
I haven't seen such a behaviour before.
Actually I'm using an Intel video driver (for an integrated video card) and as far as I know a similar configuration utility to nvidia-settings does not exist in for Intel in Linux. Also I have not installed any theme packs; I think everything is more or less vanilla.
Try "tmpwm" to switch into another wm temporarily and see if that
restores your mouse cursor.
I tried it with twm (the default WM for Xorg) and my mouse cursor showed up everywhere without any problems.
I will try to install deluge and liferea to see if I can reproduce your
problems.
Thank you for your effort!

bye ingo