Re: [RP] tuning my startup sequence (xrandr)

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [RP] tuning my startup sequence (xrandr)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 14:51:54 +0930

Axel Beckert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Joe,
>
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 03:22:18PM +0100, Joe Corneli wrote:
>> > .xinitrc usually is just used on "startx", try naming the file
>> > .xsession instead or do "ln -vis .xinitrc .xsession". Ubuntu IIRC
>> > honours both, ".xsession" as well as ".Xsession".
>>
>> Hi Axel:
>>
>> Hm, that seems not to be working, with either variant below --
>
> Haven't my 12.04 ARM netbook here, but I'm very sure that it executes
> my .xsession and runs lightdm as login manager.
>
> So the following further possible issues come to my mind:
>
> * The executable bit possibly needs to be set on .xsession, etc.
>
> * You may need to choose (once) some special session on login, i.e.
>   _not_ ratpoison but something like "Default X Session" or "Legacy
>   Session" or such. Can't remember what its named.
>
>               Kind regards, Axel

In the past, I have done what you all have been suggesting, as I have
the same problem as the OP.  However, with latest Ubuntus, it seems
difficult to get the login display manager to play ball.

What I had to do finally is create my own executable script (in ~/bin,
say) which has the following contents:

,----[ startxsession.sh ]
| exec sh ${HOME}/.xsession
`----

and then create a session file in /usr/share/xsessions which executes
this script:

,----[ xsession.desktop ]
| [Desktop Entry]
| Name=XSession
| Comment=Allows script customisation
| Exec=/home/ucecesf/bin/startxsession.sh
| TryExec=/home/ucecesf/bin/startxsession.sh
| Icon=
| Type=Application
| X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-session-3.0
`----

Then I have a .xsession file which these contents:

,----[ .xsession ]
| xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of HDMI-0
| exec ratpoison
`----

Everything now works the way I want it.  I was actually reaching the
point of switching off the display manager and going back to a console
login following by "startx".  Call me old-skool if you wish... :)

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.4