Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.7-rc3 tarballs

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.7-rc3 tarballs
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 16:32:42 +0100

On Wednesday,  2 Apr 2014 at 07:27, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:

[...]

> I haven't received any report from people on this mailing-list.  If you
> care about ratpoison, please test those tarballs and report back,

Okay.  I have tried out 1.4.7-rc3, as requested.  I do use ratpoison
every day on every system I use, from an OpenPandora upwards.

I tried it on an up to date Ubuntu system (13.10 with most upgrades) on
a large Dell Precision laptop with external monitor, currently using
ratpoison 1.4.6-1 from ubuntu's universe package repository.  The new
version compiled just fine.

Problem running: instead of treating each monitor (the laptop one and
the external one) as separate screens, it combined them into one.  This
is not good as the two screens are different sizes.  I am using the
xinerama option in my xorg.conf file.  The video card is an AMD/ATI
Blackcomb (Radeon HD 6970M/6990M).

The new behaviour is probably more correct but version 1.4.6 treated
each screen separately but as part of the same display (:0.0).

I will try without xinerama now.

<interruption>

The new version of ratpoison works in that it doesn't start by trying to
cover both screens with a given window.  However, each screen is now a
separate display (:0.0 and :0.1), not allowing windows to migrate from
one screen to the other.  Version 1.4.6 behaves the same.

So, the new version works differently than the previous version in
xinerama mode.

I can probably get used to not using xinerama but I do like moving
windows from one screen to the other.

On my work computer, which I haven't tried with the new ratpoison yet, I
have two large monitors, one in normal landscape orientation but the
other in a vertical portrait orientation and moving a window from one to
the other as I do different things is quite useful.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.10 + evil evil-git-8394c20