Re: [RP] Testing and debugging ratpoison

From: Johannes Altmanninger
Subject: Re: [RP] Testing and debugging ratpoison
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:41:32 +0200

> - How do others test rp code mods?  I've just been compiling and using
> tmpwm pointing to rp in my dev directory.
I always used another virtual console. tmpwm is perfect for this, I
never thought of it.

> - I've compiled with DEBUG on (./configure --enable-debug).  But using the
> above technique, at least, I don't see how see a log.  Suggested
> techniques?  Using my own wrapper script seems a kludge.
ratpoison logs to the standard error so you can redirect the output of
startx to a file. I launch rp inside a tmux session so that I can
reattach it in X. This is also great to see error messages of programs
launched by exec{,f,a}.

> - When I quit rp after tmpwm, the new rp exits but the original rp doesn't
> notice the child's death.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
You have probably killed the tmpwm process.
When I execute ratpoison -c 'tmpwm /usr/bin/ratpoison' in a terminal it
doesn't return until the window manager exits. ratpoison -c quit should
work for that.

Johannes Altmanninger