Re: [RP] patch: push window to frame

From: Johannes Altmanninger
Subject: Re: [RP] patch: push window to frame
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 16:09:35 +0200

Hi Jeff,

The patches are working as expected for me.  However, I sometimes find
myself wanting to swap windows but keep focus on the current frame,
something which neither swap nor pushwindow/pullwindow do.  Turns out
this can be easily scripted with the --interactive flag:

    ratpoison --interactive -c swap -c focuslast

As far as I tested "pushwindow" does the same thing with "other" added:

    ratpoison --interactive -c swap -c focuslast -c other

In contrast, "pullwindow" can be implemented by calling "other" before
switching back to the original frame

    ratpoison --interactive -c swap -c other -c focuslast

These can be turned into ratpoison commands with "alias pushwindow exec
ratpoison ..."

Of course these aliases are not as nice as real commands, (e.g. they
behave oddly when targeting the current frame, they may also be slower)
but combining ratpoison commands is more flexible and can match
everyone's needs.  Naturally there is a downside to implementing only
the basic commands, namely the user needs to know what's possible even
if it is not implemented by default. For example, I have been using
ratpoison for some time now but never realized I just could do that with
"--interactive".

Regards,

Johannes