Re: [RP] redisplay command

From: Bernhard R. Link
Subject: Re: [RP] redisplay command
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:36:13 +0200

* Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> [140907 21:09]:
> I am curious if anyone sees a use for the redisplay command in ratpoison.
> This command feels like it was copied from screen (where line noise makes
> it useful sometimes) and perhaps survives from those early X days when
> asking the server to redraw the screen was sometimes useful in the face of
> programs writing to /dev/console and messing with the display.
>
> I'm not proposing to remove the function, but I wonder if it needs to stay
> in the default key binding map, which seems noisy to me.

I think it is one of the functions I use the most. Most of the time
perhaps unnecessarily, but it is something I almost press without
thinking whenever something in the display of a window is not quite
correct.

It's especially useful with dialogs that ended up in a wrong frame.
Selecting them in a bigger frame does usually not resize them, so
they miss things like the one input field they contain, which a quick
redisplay fixes.

And then there is still that xterm bug causing xterm to not use the
better size mechanics of Linux I think, which causes it often to end up
with the wrong information about the window size within the shell it
spawned, which a quick redisplay fixes.

Sorry for the late answer, I've queued up some mails currently,
        Bernhard R. Link
--
F8AC 04D5 0B9B 064B 3383  C3DA AFFC 96D1 151D FFDC