[RP] Rp bar fails to display message

From: Costin Olteanu
Subject: [RP] Rp bar fails to display message
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:25:31 +0200

Hello.

Since sometime no earlier than January the ratpoison bar sometimes doesn't show
the text. At first I thought this was a problem with xorg, but I downgraded the
xorg packages and mesa to pre-bug versions and it's still here. Does anyone
know more about this?

When the bug happens, the bar flashes its normal text, then goes blank. These
are some tests, and whether they trigger the bug:

The bug triggers erratically, but there are some patterns. It never happens
in urxvt or dosbox windows, nor does it happen when there is no window active.
Windows of programs using widget toolkit trigger the bug.

Displaying the welcome message and using the help command always fails. At
first, I thought the bar's size may be correlated with the bug, but it's not.

The first time I open a bar type in a rodent-friendly window type, it triggers
the bug. The next times I open that type of bar, it usually displays
correctly. However, after a certain time a reset happens. If there is an
active bar, the screen flashes. In any case, any new bar will be blank. This
reset is also randomly triggered by any command, including abort and unbound
keys. By "command" I mean the use of bound keys; typing a command manually
does not trigger the bug.

I'm using 1.4.8.