Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:46:06 +0100

Hi Mathieu,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:19:35AM +0100, Mathieu OTHACEHE wrote:
> "It is probably better to view RandR as a superset of Xinerama
> at this point and use it in preference to Xinerama where both are present."
>
> So I guess you can do whatever was possible on xinerama with xrandr,
> even on workstation scenario.

I seem to not have been aware of all current possibilities of XRandR.

For me, the big difference between Xinerama and XRandR was:

* Xinerama is configured statically and globally inside xorg.conf,
  i.e. also affects Login/Display Managers like e.g. XDM, WDM, LightDM
  and GDM.

* XRandR is configured by the user and only _after_ the X session
  already has been started.

But my error probably was to look for "xrandr" and "XRandR" in
xorg.conf(5) while I should have been looking for just "RandR" without
"X".

So XRandR indeed seems to be able to do everything I've done with
Xinerama so far, also via xorg.conf.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)