Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error backing up to SNAP network drive mounted

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error backing up to SNAP network drive mounted locally
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:20:22 -0800

  JS> Ben, Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful reply.  Upgrading
  JS> to 0.11.3 helps a great deal, and whereas the previous error
  JS> occurred almost instantly, the operation now seems to run almost
  JS> to completion.  Unfortunately I'm now receiving a different
  JS> error (see below).  I'm afraid I have no idea why an fsync()
  JS> would fail.

Perhaps it's because your file system doesn't support fsync'ing
directories?  (Under linux this is required to make sure files created
in the diretory actually have entries.)  Here's something you could
try for a few different files:

$ python
Python 2.2.1 (#1, Aug 30 2002, 12:15:30)
[GCC 3.2 20020822 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.2-4)] on linux2
>>> import os
>>> fileobj = open("full/path/to/file", "rb")
>>> os.fsync(fileobj.fileno())

If this works for regular files but not for directories then we know
what the problem is.

  JS> I don't have any symlinks but tried the --exclude-special-files
  JS> flag anyway (and will almost certainly use it in practice too).
  JS> It appears irrelevant in this new case as well, unfortunately.

Yes, on versions 0.11.x the --exclude-special-files should no longer
be necessary.

--
Ben Escoto