Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling

From: Dave Steinberg
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Throttling
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:18:59 -0400

> but I don't have throttle on my machine.  (I think someone else did
> this with cstream though, which is similar, maybe check the mailing
> list.)

Quite right, thanks for the reference.  In case anyone else is following the
thread, its here:

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/old-list-archive/2002-September/000578.html

I'll try and follow his example, using either throttle or cstream.  Looks
like cstream has a bunch more features, so maybe I'll go with that.

> It seems that bandwidth limits should be managed by the OS.  Failing
> that, ssh should do it.  Failing that, someone should come up with a
> general purpose port forwarder which also limits bandwidth.  Something
> like this could work with all applications, not just rdiff-backup or
> other apps that use pipes.

Some OS's do this, and I believe its called dummynet.  The functional
distinction between dummynet and altq being that dummynet introduces latency
while altq deals with queueing packets based on priorities.  As I understand
it, I can't force an altq link to only use 10kbps of bandwidth.

--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com