Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff 0.12.1-0 requires librsync-devel

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff 0.12.1-0 requires librsync-devel
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:19:14 -0700

  DH> When I try to rebuild the rpm source of rdiff under Red Hat 9.0,
  DH> rpm complains of a failed build dependency for librsync-devel. A
  DH> search of the web for librsync-devel discovers only .386
  DH> packages which will not install without librsync. librsync src
  DH> in turn will not rebuild without librsync-devel.

  DH> Where might I find the source for librsync-devel?

The librsync source rpm will provide both the 'librsync' and
'librsync-devel' packages.  Libraries are typically distributed as
tarballs which can be compiled into static and/or shared libraries
(e.g. librsync.a and librsync.so.1.0.1).  Source rpms contain that
tarball, and often produce two binary rpms.  One will just have the
shared library, since that's all binary programs need.  The other
(-devel) will have the include files and static libraries that are
only required for building.

--
Ben Escoto