Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tar replacement - format proposal

From: Kevin Spicer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tar replacement - format proposal
Date: 26 Sep 2003 15:00:58 +0100

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 14:16, John Goerzen wrote:

> One problem I see is XML.  Yes, it is versatile, but it is also overkill for
> this and it is complex.  An archive should be as simple as possible, and it
> should be able to be restored with as few tools as possible.  XML is not
> simple, and using it will generally require a libxml on the system.  This
> can right away put your format out of the running for things like
> installers, critical system backups, and anything else that is extremely
> space-conscious for program footprint and required shared libraries.
>
> Moreover, you don't need XML for what you are trying to achieve.  All you
> need is something "more versatile than tar".  It shouldn't be hard to arrive
> at a key/value system.  For instance, for files, you could have:
>
>   NAME\0/foo/bar/baz\0
>   MTIME\0514341312\0
>   CTIME\03413413214\0
>
> Of course, you could write the MTIME and CTIME in binary, and you could
> abbreviate those names to "N", "M", and "C" to save time.  What's more, this
> format is quite extensible, almost to the same degree as XML, and you save
> space in the archive and space in memory and library requirements, not to
> mention ease processing.

I agree thats a good idea, I suggested using xml for everything earlier
- but with reflection thats perhaps not such a great idea because of the
bloat factor.  Another important consideration is that the necessary
tools to extract an archive should be as compact and self reliant as
possible as they are the kind of tools you need on rescue floppies and
the like.  Needing xml is probably unwanted bloat.

> Null-terminated strings are easy for anyone to parse without having to load
> a separate library.  (You could also use Pascal-style "leading length byte"
> strings, which are also easy to parse.)

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000