[rdiff-backup-users] Re: speed of rdiff-backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: speed of rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:51:33 -0800

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:19:02 -0500 Daniel Drucker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Why does rdiff-backup take so long? If I do a backup with Mike Rubel's
> rsync-snapshots thing, and then immediately upon its completion run it
> again, the second one takes about 45 seconds to complete. The same
> thing using rdiff-backup takes about ten minutes. (4GB in 117818 files)

I think you are using 0.13.x, which hasn't been profiled yet.  How
fast is 0.12.6?  If you are using the quoting code, that will probably
slow things down too (rsync doesn't have to worry about that).  In
general I would expect rdiff-backup to be 3-5x slower than rsync in
terms of CPU here, since this is the worst case.

There are some old (for v0.11.1) benchmarks at

http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2002-12/msg00066.html

--
Ben Escoto