Re: [rdiff-backup-users] librsync: ERROR:

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] librsync: ERROR:
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:43:10 -0800

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:05:24 -0700
"Robert Weber" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just went to do a restore on a mirror that has been error free for months
> and discoverd several file had not been updated.  I dug up the error logs
> and found THOUSANDS of lines like:
>
> librsync: ERROR: (rs_file_copy_cb) seek failed: Invalid argument
> librsync: ERROR: (rs_job_complete) patch job failed: IO error
> UpdateError cos/CEDAR/cedar.pro librsync error 100 while in patch cycle
>
> And for every one the file was not updated.  I was running 0.12.4 and librsync
> 0.9.6.  I upgraded to 0.12.6 but I don't know if this will fix it and I
> wanted to hit the list first.

The not updating part is actually the intended behavior for this type of
thing, see the error policy at
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html.

Of course, UpdateErrors are tolerated like this because they are
supposed to arise only when the file is changing as rdiff-backup is
processing it.  Is it possible this was the case with
cos/CEDAR/cedar.pro and the other files?

If not, it looks like an internal librsync error, possibly because
librsync can't read or seek around in the file.  So upgrading to 0.12.6
probably won't fix it.

--
Ben Escoto