Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Corrupted MAC on input

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Corrupted MAC on input
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:40:11 -0800

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:36:43 +0000 Keith Edmunds <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm backing up three directory trees from one system to another. Both
> systems are Linux, both running rdiff-backup 0.12.4. This is the first
> run of the backup, although I've repeated it a few times, both to the
> partially-completed target directory and to an empty target. One source
> directory consistently gives the same error; the other two directories
> backup just fine. The error is:
>
> rdiff-backup --exclude **.iso* /home backup::/backups/xxxxxx/xxxxx/home
> Received disconnect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 2: Corrupted MAC on input.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> line 216, in _get    raise ConnectionReadError("Truncated header string
> (problem " rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionReadError: Truncated header
> string (problem probably originated remotely)
>
> I'm surprised by the "Corrupted MAC on input" as that seems to imply a
> hardware or network configuration problem, but the other two directories
> on this machine back up just fine.

Looks like your problem is with whatever carries the rdiff-backup
stream.  rdiff-backup doesn't know anything about MACs, so probably
ssh is giving you that error message.  Once the connection fails,
rdiff-backup goes down, complaining about the remote connection.

Why does this only happen with one directory then?  I don't know,
maybe rdiff-backup needs to send more data across than with the other
directories, or something like that.

--
Ben Escoto