[rdiff-backup-users] diffing between two snapshots

From: James Leifer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] diffing between two snapshots
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:30:47 +0100

Hello,

I'm running rdiff-backup version 0.13.4 in a cron job every 20 minutes
to take snapshots (stored on a local disc) of my home directory.  The
reason for the frequency is that my home is mounted on our frequently
failing NFS server (which Dell is being slow about replacing), it
backed up nightly to tape by the admins.

Now for the first time I actually need rdiff-backup for exactly the
purpose I had in mind:

(1) Our server failed.

(2) The admins restored from somewhat stale tape backups.

(3) I continued work this morning from state (2).

Now I would like rdiff-backup to calculate the diff between (1) and
(2) so I know which files were lost or changed and restore just those
files to state (3).

I.e. I want to see the changes between two snapshot points (not
between the snapshot point and the present).  RTFM didn't explain
easily how to do this, or maybe I'm going blind.

The moral of the story: one should test one's restore plan *before* a
disaster (albeit a little one) occurs!

Many thanks for any suggestions.
--
James Leifer