Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remove-older-than takes hours and slows down th

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remove-older-than takes hours and slows down the system....
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:05:57 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

My first guess would be that the harddisk containing the backup is
dying. By pure coincidence, I've got a (Maxtor) 18GB harddisk with exact
that problem. No bad blocks, just *very* slow. Trying to open a new xterm
while accessing data on that drive occasionally takes up to 30 seconds...

If the system is running some Unix flavor, you can try tools like 'top'
and 'ps' to figure out if it's rdiff-backup running like a madman or it's
maybe just the hardware.

HTH,
 Maarten