[rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem

From: Sheldon Hearn
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:17:59 +0200

Hi folks,

I'm abusing rdiff-backup as a "write from one" + "read from many"
solution.

Only one host backs up to the central server, as the user with
permission to write files.

Many hosts will restore from that central server, as a user who does not
have access to write the files.

I touch up permissions after backing up, making the metadata files o+r
and the metadata directories o+rx, to facilitate this.

The restore command looks like this:

TZ=UTC rdiff-backup \
    --restore-as-of "2005-07-18" \
    --force \
    --exclude /usr/portage/distfiles \
    address@hidden /usr/portage

However, the restores exception out on "Operation not permitted", as per
the attached trace.

Since the local user on the "restoree" host's end is root, I can only
assume that the problem is on the "backup server" (remote) end.
However, I'd have expected a restore to be a read-only operation
(except for the failure to write backup.log).

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just outside the design of
rdiff-backup? :-(

Ciao,
Sheldon.
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
'portage-rdiff-backup/app-accessibility'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 254, in
Main
    take_action(rps)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 224, in
take_action
    connection.PipeConnection(sys.stdin, sys.stdout).Server()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 347,
in Server
    self.get_response(-1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 309,
in get_response
    try: req_num, object = self._get()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 225,
in _get
    raise ConnectionReadError("Truncated header string (problem "
rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionReadError: Truncated header string (problem
probably originated remotely)