Re: [rdiff-backup-users] will rdiff-backup work if no single backup sess

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] will rdiff-backup work if no single backup session is long enough to finish?
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:51:10 -0700

> The partition I'm backing up is really big and consists of oodles of
> tiny files.  I really liked the fact that rsync was still useful
> even when I'm rarely connected to the network in a single place long
> enough to run a full backup (ie open() every file) -- by checking
> timestamps rsync can get useful work done even if I only run it for
> 10-15 minutes at a time, and if I run it often enough, my backup
> still occasionally reaches parity with the source.  Most of my
> backup sessions end up getting killed (ctrl-c) because I need to
> disconnect my laptop.  Only a few run to completion.
>
> I'm having trouble getting rdiff-backup to do the same thing.  It
> seems that if I kill an rdiff-backup session, it simply throws away
> all the work its done in that session.  This means that the amount
> of work left to do never gets small enough that it can be
> accomplished in a single session, so ultimately instead of only
> occasionally being up to date, my backup is never up to date.

Hi rdiff-backup is more session-based than rsync so the behavior
you're describing is normal.  There's no way to get it to work like
rsync, where it doesn't care whether or not a session succeeds or
fails.

Perhaps you could backup nightly---run a script that backs up your
data then turns the laptop off?  If not it seems rdiff-backup is
inappropriate for your needs.

--
Ben Escoto