Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug?: uid of symlinks restored incorrectly

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug?: uid of symlinks restored incorrectly
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:26:12 -0700

> I recently moved my Linux laptop to a bigger harddisk. After the
> restore, Firefox refused to start because
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/6x154dtw.default/lock "is owner by another user
> than you" - this is a symlink that was owned by root:root :-(

Originally the reason that rdiff-backup didn't preserve symlink
ownership was that python didn't have the functionality.  But
apparently a lchown() function was added in version 2.3.

But I'd guess that python version 2.2.x installations are pretty
common.  I'll see how hard it would be to preserve sym ownership while
avoiding a v2.3+ requirement.

--
Ben Escoto