Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff unattended backup questions.

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff unattended backup questions.
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:49:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Noah wrote:

> okay I got everything configured correctly - well almost everything.
>
> i am finding that ownership on the backup rdiff sevrer is wrong - called
> backup-host below.
>
> look at this.
> "-r-xr-xr-x   1 backup backup 3833936 Apr 16 17:19 kernel"
>
> in fact all the files and directories are owned by backup:backup
>
> what can I do about this.  here is my configuration command.  this command is
> intiated by root on the machine that is being backedup.

This is normal behaviour when you back up files to a normal user account
on the backup host. In the backup tree (on the backup server), you will
find a directory named 'rdiff-backup-data' containing (a.o.) one or more
files named mirror_metadata.[TIMESTAMP].snapshot.gz
The metadata file contains correct ownership and file mode information
needed to restore the files to the production server.

If you want the files etc. on the backup server to have the same uid/gid
as on the production server, you need to run rdiff-backup as root on both
sides. I have no experience with that, and in most cases it isn't even
necesary. Unless you have the same user accounts on both the production
server and the backup server, file ownership wouldn't make much sense
anyway.

HTH,
 Maarten