Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:24:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Davy Durham wrote:

> Is this serious?   I get a few like this while backing up..
>
>   UpdateError var/log/secure Updated mirror temp file
> ./var/log/rdiff-backup.tmp.1685 does not match source

unfortunately there's always a race condition when backing up from a live
filesystem... the only way to avoid these is to use "copy-on-write
snapshot" technology like exists in LVM for example.

(on a related rant:  it's unfortunate linux 2.6 LVM2 doesn't have stable
snapshots yet... i'm stuck on 2.4 still because i want snapshots.)

-dean