Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error message with Extended Attributes

From: Paul Cuttriss
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error message with Extended Attributes
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:43:20 +0100

Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Extended attributes                          On

Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
  Extended attributes                          Off

rdiff-backup checks to see if it can read and write EAs on the
destination filesystem, but only tries to list one on the source.
Here is the relevant code:

So if you want to see what is going on you could try testing xattr's
listxattr, setxattr, and getxattr from the python interpreter.

On the nail Ben

I had the filesystem mounted with the acl option, but not the user_xattr option.

Once I remounted the filesystem with 'all' the necessary options it worked a treat.
/dev/mapper/vg-backup on /backup type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr)

Thanks

Paul C