Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correctly

From: Wiebe Cazemier
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correctly
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:52:34 +0200

Resend: I intended this to go to the mailing list, but there is no reply-to specified in the message. Why not BTW?

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
Dear list:

A friend of mine told me last night about rdiff-backup. He seemed
enthusiastic about it, urged me to try it out.
I run Debian linux 3.1 on my office system, and need to backup various data
files from several folders, over a DSL connection to my home machine, also
running Debian 3.1. Both home and work machines have rdiff-backup version
0.13.4-5 installed. I have run 'rdiff-backup --test-server localmachine
remotemachine' and got a successful report back at the prompt.
Yet, when I attempt to run rdiff-backup with anything from /local/folder
address@hidden::/remote/folder   I get the following errors
consistently:
address@hidden:~$ rdiff-backup /home/scott/assist
address@hidden::/home/scott/rdb
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
    Extended attributes                          Off
      Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
        Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
        Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
        /home/scott/rdb/rdiff-backup-data
        Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
          Characters needing quoting                   ''
            Ownership changing                           Off
              Hard linking                                 On
                fsync() directories                          On
                  Directory inc permissions                    On
                    Access control lists                         Off
                      Extended attributes                          Off
                        Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
                          Mac OS X Finder information                  Off

                          Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on
                          destination side

                          The rdiff-backup data directory
                          /home/scott/rdb/rdiff-backup-data
                          exists, but we cannot find a valid current_mirror
                          marker.  You can
                          avoid this message by removing the
                          rdiff-backup-data directory;
                          however any data in it will be lost.

                          Probably this error was caused because the first
                          rdiff-backup session
                          into a new directory failed.  If this is the case
                          it is safe to delete
                          the rdiff-backup-data directory because there is
                          no important
                          information in it.

Not sure why my email does that to text pasted into it , but there's the
output.
This is indeed the first backup session with rdiff-backup. But I fail to
understand why it would fail outright when the --test-server option worked,
a la:
address@hidden:~$ rdiff-backup --test-server
address@hidden::/home/scott/rdb
Testing server started by:  ssh -C address@hidden rdiff-backup --server
Server OK

Can someone help me figure this out?
Scott

The simple answer, and the only one I can come up with just now, is that
there are/is file(s) in your destination-dir. do an "ls -a" and see.