Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup

From: Carsten Lorenz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How to speed up rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:21:56 +0200

Steve Clement wrote:

>Carsten Lorenz wrote:
>

>>rdiff-backup needs 132s to transfer a 140MB file (1.1MB/s).
>>While rdiff-backup works on the next file scp transfers the same file in 15s
>>(9.3MB/s)!
>>

>What does that mean? scp = 9.3MB/s rdiff-backup = 1.1MB/s

If i understand, what you mean, yes :-)
scp transfers this file 9 times faster than rdiff-backup

>>Since we want to backup one tera-byte of data this would last more than a
>>week.
>>

>That be bad :)

ETA is  Thursday.

>>Has anyone hints how to speedup rdiff-backup?
>>

>Well if you want to speed up rdiff-backup using ssh/scp as transport you
>might need to look into:
>
>high performance ssh
>
>or if you are copying from a Local "secure" network just use ftp or hell
>why not NFS.

We thought about using NFS. Since we use a separate "Network" consisting
of both servers and a cable, it can be configured to be safe.
We will try it, when we create the backup in  the opposite direction.

Since scp and rdiff-backup/ssh both uses ssh2 transferring data, why is
rdiff-backup 9 times slower, while the CPU-usage is low?
I can't see where the bottleneck is.

Thanks, Carsten