Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup problems (FC4 -> VFAT)

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup problems (FC4 -> VFAT)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:29:52 -0500

> Dear Ben, all,
>    For the moment, I'm using dar for what I need, so the problem is no
> longer urgent for me. I'm also in the process of getting some external
> drives, so soon I won't be reliant on a FAT32 system for backup
> (thanks Wiebe). On the other hand, I'm happy to assist with debugging.
..
> OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
> '/winhome/Temp/bin/rdiff-backup.tmp.43'
> address@hidden bin]# ls -al mount
> -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 81732 Sep 30 23:17 mount

Hi, thank you very much for your report.  The problem is that the
/bin/mount file has its suid bit set (a special permission that makes
it run as root no matter who starts it).  Your FAT32 filesystem
doesn't support this special permission and is raising a
misleading-sounding error.

The solution is to have rdiff-backup check to make sure the
destination file system supports special permissions I guess.  I
opened a bug at

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=14799

about this.

In the meantime, you could avoid running rdiff-backup as root, at
least on the writing side.  For instance, instead of

        rdiff-backup / /winhome/Temp

you could run:

        rdiff-backup / <non-root user>@localhost::/winhome/Temp

This should work because rdiff-backup only writes to add the special
permissions if the writing side is running as root.

--
Ben Escoto