[rdiff-backup-users] Backup Rotation?

From: Alastair Rankine
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup Rotation?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:02:38 +1000

Hi,

Does rdiff-backup plan to support backup rotation? Perhaps grandfather-father-son or even towers of hanoi backup rotation?

The reason I ask is that my current backup scripts (home grown python) use a g-f-s scheme, and recently I had to take advantage of this to restore from last April's monthly backup. Before moving across to rdiff-backup permanently I'd like to get an equivalent to this feature.

The way I'd see it working is to define n subdirectories within the nominated backup directory (each a logical tape, if you will). From this, rdiff-backup would determine which subdirectory directory to backup to, based on the nominated backup schedule. In addition, it could create a symlink so that the current backup could be maintained to keep the "current snapshot" nature of rdiff-backup.

I don't know if this has been thought about, comments appreciated.