Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Crypt backup

From: Mike Bydalek
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Crypt backup
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:26:35 -0700

Ben Escoto wrote:
"Miguel Angel Rodriguez" <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:55:33 +0100

I woul'd store my remote backup encrypted. What can I do ?

If you're just worried about encrypted storing, I guess you could put
your rdiff-backup repository on an encrypted filesystem.

This is good for if your server physically gets stolen (which if you have it in a colo, is a *very* rare chance), but otherwise pretty pointless for a good backup solution.
If you want to make sure the server never sees your unencrypted data,
you could use programs specifically written for that, like duplicity
(which I wrote, and still use), hdup, etc.

Up until now, I didn't know you wrote Duplicity (very nice product, except for it's age).  For people that wanted secure backups, I used box-backup, but it's extremely cumbersome to restore, so frankly, I don't like it that much.

Duplicity would be the ultimate backup solution, except that the last release was in August of 2003, and wasn't even stable.  I did notice that it did implement some of the rdiff code to get deltas on directories, etc.

A suggestion from someone who desperately wants the security of box-backup, Duplicity, etc. with the functionality of rdiff-backup, would there be a way to implement Duplicity code into rdiff-backup to give the option of storing encrypted?

-Mike