[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Alternative temp-directory.

From: roland
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Alternative temp-directory.
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 04:05:28 +0200

Hello !

From:  Klaas van Hagen
Subject:  [rdiff-backup-users] Alternative temp-directory.
Date:  Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:15:44 +0100

Hello,

I've been using rdiff-backup to my satisfaction for quite some time now,
however I encountered a problem when backing up a large amount of data
(such as a new server). My /tmp filesystem is not large enough to cope
with the temporary data, so I hope there is some  way of specifying an
alternative temp directory? I've not been able to find how to specify
this.

Is there a solution for this in the meantime ?

I want to use rdiff-backup for backing up data to a target directory which is under control of fusecompress (fuse based transparent compression).

because all compression is done at the filesystem level i want to use --no-compression - and i want to avoid that all the tempfile(s) rdiff-backup is writing to the destination-dir will be compressed unnecessary (this will eat cpu und backup-time).

i would like to be able to specify an alternative path for them.

is this possible ?

btw - is anybody using rdiff-backup with a "compressible" filesystem ?

regards
roland