[rdiff-backup-users] parallel backups

From: David Peterka
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] parallel backups
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 06:27:04 -0500

Hello,

I just started using rdiff-backup to backup some boxes and playing around with cron, I’m wondering if anyone has scripted anything to back up stuff in parallel.  I’ve got this ghetto script going on that launches backup jobs as separate jobs, I’m just wondering if there isn’t a better way and if anyone has done this before that might be able to save me a little time J Poking around on the wiki I didn’t really see anything. I’m using the unattended style backup with some sudo added to avoid using root directly, here’s a snip of the current cron. >

SRV=(server1 server2)

i=${#SRV[*]}

set $((i--))

# Loop through the array and backup each server

while [ "$i" -gt -1 ]

 do

  echo "Beginning backup of ${SRV[$i]}"

  $RDIFF --exclude-globbing-filelist $EX --include-globbing-filelist $IN --exclude / ${SRV[$i]}-backup::/ $BK_DIR/${SRV[$i]} &

  set $((i--))

done

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

D-