Re: [rdiff-backup-users] problem with chmod 0 directories

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] problem with chmod 0 directories
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 May 2006, The Anarcat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem running rdiff-backup over a directory which has a mode
> of 0. The source directory is read as root so that poses no problem, but
> the target directory is written as a regular user, so I get a:
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
> 334, in Backup
>     backup.Mirror_and_increment(rpin, rpout, incdir)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line
> 51, in Mirror_and_increment
>     DestS.patch_and_increment(dest_rpath, source_diffiter, inc_rpath)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py",
> line 448, in __call__
>     return apply(self.connection.reval, (self.name,) + args)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py",
> line 370, in reval
>     if isinstance(result, Exception): raise result
> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/backup/target/foo'
> Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system
>
> Indeed, the directory foo is chmod 0, both on source and target. Of
> course, it can't write on target, so the backup fails.
>
> This is a real problem here because we sometimes use chmod -R 0
> <directory> to disable sections of the system as root.
>
> Any ideas on how to deal with this?

istr this is an old bug...  what version are you using?  i don't have
this problem on 1.0.4 ... maybe you can give a sequence of commands
to reproduce it.

% mkdir src
% touch src/a
% mkdir src/b
% touch src/b/c
% rdiff-backup src dst
% echo hi >src/b/c
% chmod 0 src/b
% rdiff-backup src dst
ListError b [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'src/b'
% ls -l dst
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 dean dean    0 May 15 08:53 a
d--------- 2 dean dean    6 May 15 08:53 b
drwx------ 3 dean dean 4096 May 15 08:53 rdiff-backup-data
% rdiff-backup src dst
ListError b [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'src/b'
% rdiff-backup --version
rdiff-backup 1.0.4

-dean