Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird problem rdiff linux to osx

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird problem rdiff linux to osx
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:22:59 -0400

address@hidden / Milan Herzet wrote:
> I want to back a folder from a Linux server to an osx 10.4 box
>
> On the linux box it’s like this:
> 4 drwx------   11 root root 4096 May 18 11:46 .Maildir
>
> And on the OSx box it’s like this:
> 0 drwx------   16 root  wheel  544 May 18 11:46 .;077aildir

The Mac OS X filesystem (HFS+) is case-preserving but case-insensitive.
This means that HFS+ remembers that a file is named "Foo" but doesn't
distinguish between "Foo", "foo", "foO", "fOo", etc. Linux filesystems
like ext3 do, however, treat these names as separate files.

As you can imagine, if I have a Linux directory with two files "bar" and
"BAR", and try to copy them to a Mac system, I will wind up with only
one file (!) since HFS+ doesn't distinguish between the names and the
second file I copy will overwrite the first.

Therefore, when rdiff-backup copies files from case-sensitive to
case-insensitive filesystems, it escapes the uppercase characters (eg,
"M" is replaced with ";077" so that no filename conflicts occur. Upon
restore (from the Mac backup server to the Linux server), the filenames
are unquoted and you will get ".Maildir" back.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden