Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Archive older files/speed question

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Archive older files/speed question
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Niki Hammler wrote:

> 1.) Is there a way to save old increments to another directory?

nope.

> 2.) If for example would like to restore a file 365 days. Is it correct that I
> have to apply all diffs since then?

yep.  one of the commonly requested features is the ability to remove
intermediate diffs (and recalculate a larger diff to account for all the
intermediate changes).  but i don't think anyone is working on it.

> rdiff-backup only backups files where modification times changes, doesn't it?

yes.

> I have a few very large apache log files (500MB) where data is only appended
> and old snapshots aren't needed (apache logs). Is it possible to exclude some
> files/folders from diff but back them up also?
> I've nothing found in man-page.

no.

> Are there any other tweaks to speed up rdiff-backup?

use noatime,nodiratime mount options if you can.  maybe --no-compress
helps if you have a weak cpu and can handle the disk space.

-dean